When the Thai Place in Millbrook, AL (next to Food World shopping center, not the old one) first opened, we loved it. It became my favorite restaurant. Their chef is from Thailand, and the 'greeter' is his wife.
My husband (Editor of the Prattville Progress), and his staff began to eat there weekly, sometimes bi-weekly. I began to tell everyone I knew that the Thai Place was the best place to eat in the Montgomery area. Even in all of Central Alabama.
One afternoon, Jess, Alicia, Griffin and I were in there, and she brought out her husband, the cook to meet us. He 'never comes out, doesn't like to meet people', but we were bragging on the food so much, she convinced him to come out.
I haven't eaten there in a couple of months. Lunchtime is my 'waking time', so I usually missed going with the staff, unless I was already up. They closed early, at 8pm, for some strange reason, so we weren't able to make it out there for dinner often.
Today was Griffin's last day at the Progress. We were all going to eat at Thai Place to see him off. I managed to drag my butt out of bed for that. When I arrived, Alicia and Don were the only two there. Don said that the wife told him we would 'have to sit at separate tables' because we were going to have a party of 10.
We flagged down the waitress, and asked her if we could pull three small tables together. This was at noon, and they were by no means full. She went to talk to the wife, and the wife came over and told us we couldn't.
I was floored. Absolutely floored. She said that 'they didn't do parties' no greater than 8. We were going to have AT MOST eight, and ended up only having six. I said 'We're going to use that many tables anyway, what's the difference?'Her answer: 'He doesn't like to cook for big parties.'That's when I said 'Ok, then, let's go.'
She was still getting snippy with me as we were walking out the door.I don't understand what her problem was, not at all.
One things for sure....the six of us will never be back again. And, we'll tell everyone we know. I hope, after we're through, that this couple regrets not serving us.
It's not like we're 'troublemakers'....we're all grown adults...well, most of us. Griff still has some growing up to do.
But, he'll get there.
And, the week before, Grif and Alicia were in there, and were told that they could eat, but it would be an hour, at least before food was served. This was because there was a PARTY OF TWENTY with tables pulled together.
So, let's go over this again. We were REFUSED service because we had a party of EIGHT. Yet, seven days before, at the SAME time of day, there was a party of TWENTY being served. Why are we any different??
Let me say this, too. I don't 'talk about' places like this, or bad mouth restaurants or establishments, unless they do something really bad. In my eyes, the way we were treated, was HORRIBLE.
And, even though my husband is the Editor of the Progress, and could flame them in every editorial column from here to eternity, he won't. I know he won't. He's not like that.
So, this is me, writing my own editorial. Don't visit the Thai Place, if nothing else, do it for me. We should not have been refused service, period. Griffin should have had his 'send off' at the place he wanted to eat, but instead we ate at El JalapeƱo, with great service, not so great food.
Thanks for reading, and remember......if you're ever in Millbrook/Prattville AL,you may not want to eat at the Thai Place, especially if you have more than one person!
My husband (Editor of the Prattville Progress), and his staff began to eat there weekly, sometimes bi-weekly. I began to tell everyone I knew that the Thai Place was the best place to eat in the Montgomery area. Even in all of Central Alabama.
One afternoon, Jess, Alicia, Griffin and I were in there, and she brought out her husband, the cook to meet us. He 'never comes out, doesn't like to meet people', but we were bragging on the food so much, she convinced him to come out.
I haven't eaten there in a couple of months. Lunchtime is my 'waking time', so I usually missed going with the staff, unless I was already up. They closed early, at 8pm, for some strange reason, so we weren't able to make it out there for dinner often.
Today was Griffin's last day at the Progress. We were all going to eat at Thai Place to see him off. I managed to drag my butt out of bed for that. When I arrived, Alicia and Don were the only two there. Don said that the wife told him we would 'have to sit at separate tables' because we were going to have a party of 10.
We flagged down the waitress, and asked her if we could pull three small tables together. This was at noon, and they were by no means full. She went to talk to the wife, and the wife came over and told us we couldn't.
I was floored. Absolutely floored. She said that 'they didn't do parties' no greater than 8. We were going to have AT MOST eight, and ended up only having six. I said 'We're going to use that many tables anyway, what's the difference?'Her answer: 'He doesn't like to cook for big parties.'That's when I said 'Ok, then, let's go.'
She was still getting snippy with me as we were walking out the door.I don't understand what her problem was, not at all.
One things for sure....the six of us will never be back again. And, we'll tell everyone we know. I hope, after we're through, that this couple regrets not serving us.
It's not like we're 'troublemakers'....we're all grown adults...well, most of us. Griff still has some growing up to do.
And, the week before, Grif and Alicia were in there, and were told that they could eat, but it would be an hour, at least before food was served. This was because there was a PARTY OF TWENTY with tables pulled together.
So, let's go over this again. We were REFUSED service because we had a party of EIGHT. Yet, seven days before, at the SAME time of day, there was a party of TWENTY being served. Why are we any different??
Let me say this, too. I don't 'talk about' places like this, or bad mouth restaurants or establishments, unless they do something really bad. In my eyes, the way we were treated, was HORRIBLE.
And, even though my husband is the Editor of the Progress, and could flame them in every editorial column from here to eternity, he won't. I know he won't. He's not like that.
So, this is me, writing my own editorial. Don't visit the Thai Place, if nothing else, do it for me. We should not have been refused service, period. Griffin should have had his 'send off' at the place he wanted to eat, but instead we ate at El JalapeƱo, with great service, not so great food.
Thanks for reading, and remember......if you're ever in Millbrook/Prattville AL,you may not want to eat at the Thai Place, especially if you have more than one person!
6 comments:
Very Interesting. I am wondering if all your friends that enjoyed the Thai Place so much all feel the same way? Have you ever had a bad day and done something you regret? If so, would you want your friends and acquaintances holding it over you for life? I think not. And if you are a woman, please don't tell me you have never done anything you ever regretted. It probably happens about once a month.
I've eaten at the Thai Place and they have wonderful food. True, it's just a small family restaurant and they shouldn't have been so strict about pulling the tables together but it very well might have been the party of 20 the previous week that made them rethink the idea of having large parties in there. It's very difficult to cook for 20 folks and get their food out in a timely manner (all at the same time) and it all be hot and the way it ought to be served. I can't remember if the owner has much staff back there in the kitchen but I don't believe he has more than one helper so my advise is to forgive and forget. And I would suggest you take a lesson from your husband and not flame them for a one time blunder. You know how good the food is there and you know you want to go back for more so do as Christ would do. Forgive!
I agree with the horrible treatment at Thai Place. We made a comment that we would like to have a glass of wine with our dinner and she told us we should go to Dooley's Pub. Guess what!!! We left never to return!!!! She is jus down right rude. Her place will not last long.
My boyfriend and I love Thai Food so when we found out about Thai Place we made plans to go there that night. We ended up getting there at about 7:40 and were told we could not eat because they took their last sitting at 7:30 because "it took them an hour to clean" - The woman we spoke to had a bad attitude and it made us never want to go again!
I actually got online to get the phone number for the Thai Place because I LOVE their food and wanted to place a "to go" order. Instead of the phone number, I got this posting and just had to make a comment. I usually eat at the Thai Place at least once weekly (sometimes more :)) and I have never had bad service and the food is always delicious. I know their hours fluctuate based on how busy they are (hard to justify paying staff if you aren't busy with this economy.
I was quite suprised that someone who loves the food would quit going because of one bad experience. It might help to know that the "greeter" (her name is Cheryl by the way) has been under alot of stress and just had a heart cath this past Friday which could have played into why she wasn't as pleasant on the day in question. Regardless, if you love Thai food, you'll find none better than the Thai Place - Give it a try!!!!
The people working in the Thai Place are rude as they come!!!!! They originally were friendly but now they are all rude and give poor service as they do not have enough people working the floor.
thai place is a restraunt with authentic food.
i could find something to complain about
at ever place Ive ever eaten. especially if I focused
on "me". The food is great, the service is great.
Ive learned that the customer is not always
right. from the comments I read I would recomnend
they find a place that makes them happy if
that is even possible. there are many restraunts
in the tri-county.
Gary Whiteside
Post a Comment